Trusts & Pensions
Using our experience to add real value for clients
We advise on the full range of private and commercial trusts, pensions and foundations. Working closely with the corporate team, we provide a fully integrated service, meeting the needs of those in the fiduciary sector, whatever the legal issues they face.
Our leading pensions practice is predominantly international, drawing on the specialist experience of our highly-qualified pensions lawyers.
- Establishing private, commercial, charitable and purpose trusts
- Advising Family Offices on restructuring
- Establishing Private Trust Companies and Foundations
- Preparing on-going administrative documentation
- Migrating and terminating trusts
- Establishing foundations and advising in connection with their on-going administration
- Advising on administrative issues e.g. rights of beneficiaries to information
- Advising on regulatory issues
- Contentious and non-contentious applications to the Court
- Establishing international and domestic pension schemes
- Merging and de-merging pension schemes
- Advising on funding arrangements for DB schemes
- Bulk transfers
- Establishing RATS, QROPS and QNUPS
- Advising on administrative, governance and regulatory issues
- Advising on re-structuring of trust and underlying corporate structure to release USD 500m to principal beneficiaries.
- Acting for a Guernsey corporate trustee in relation to the migration into Guernsey of a Liechtenstein and a Panamanian foundation including advising on and assistance with preparation of documentation to be submitted to the Guernsey Registry.
- Acting for a Guernsey trustee, drafting documentation to create a hybrid trust.
- As part of a trustee’s liability management exercise, drafting a suite of fresh documentation to address issues created by historic trust documentation which had been replicated over multiple trust structures.
- Advising a leading US investment bank on the creation of multiple foundation and trust structures in Guernsey involving the migration of six multi-billion dollar securitisation structures.
- Advising on the creation of a bespoke family office structure using foundations to run underlying trusts, foundations and companies, including advice on the regulatory and licencing requirements of the GFSC.
- Appearing before the Royal Court acting for the minor and unborn beneficiaries of a complex fixed interest trust in an application to vary the terms of the trust so as to delay vesting of the trust fund and extend the life of the trust.
- Advising on bespoke governance and risk mitigation framework for an international offshore pension scheme with assets in excess of £100m.
- Providing expert evidence on technical Guernsey pensions law to the High Court in England and Wales.
- Advising an international pensions trust provider on the provision of a more integrated global offering of offshore pensions products based on the differences between pensions and tax legislation.
- Advising the trustee on a major exercise to restructure international pension arrangements operated under a Guernsey trust for employers in numerous jurisdictions.