Robert represents clients across a wide range of cases, including commercial and general litigation. He has experience of cross-border trust disputes. He acts for and against banks, financial institutions and trust companies. He has particular expertise in enforcement of judgments, including foreign judgments and the Guernsey statutory and customary law aspects of enforcement.
- Securing declarations from the Royal Court on behalf of a trustee facing hostile proceedings in Italy brought by a potential beneficiary. The declarations concerned the historic validity, control and administration of the trust, and raised issues of Italian partnership law and Swiss laws of succession.
- Representing a US beneficiary of a Guernsey trust defending an attack on his discretionary interest pursuant to an action for recognition and enforcement of a US matrimonial court order.
- Obtaining a stay of Guernsey proceedings on behalf of a non-resident director/shareholder of a Guernsey company, pending suit in the English High Court.
- Obtaining a freezing injunction against the trustees of a FURBS on behalf of a contingent beneficiary, in support of English High Court “big-money” divorce proceedings.
- Successfully settling, by mediation, a minority shareholder dispute concerning a Guernsey company.
- Securing the removal of a Guernsey-resident protector and a Mauritian trustee of a Guernsey trust, followed by international tracing and securing of trust assets.
- Successfully settling, by mediation, a substantial dispute on a commercial lease.
- Obtaining (in the first application of its kind in Alderney) a declaration of presumption of death on common law principles, there being no applicable statutory framework.
Rob qualified as solicitor in England in 1996 and was admitted as an Advocate in Guernsey in 2002.
Guernsey International Legal Association