Bryan de Verneuil-Smith
Bryan is a litigator practising principally in the areas of financial services, banking, insolvency and general commercial disputes.
- Part of the Babbé team representing the executive directors of Carlyle Capital Corporation, an investment fund, defending claims in excess of $1 billion, in Guernsey’s biggest ever civil trial.
- Acting for a corporate service provider and fiduciary against a multimillion pound claim for alleged breaches of duty.
- Acting for an adviser to an investment art fund defending a multimillion pound claim against the former directors and advisers of the fund for alleged negligent advice and management. After a series of successful interlocutory applications, the case was settled by an early mediation.
- Successfully opposing administration orders and setting aside statutory demands against multiple Guernsey companies which stood to lose millions of pounds if these orders or demands had been granted.
- Obtaining disclosure of documents from various parties on the back of a freezing injunction arising out of a allegations of a worldwide multimillion pound fraud involving charterparties for an Eastern European tanker fleet.
- Representing the former directors of a film finance company against a multimillion pound claim for alleged breaches of duty; the action was successfully concluded by mediation.
After graduating from Cambridge University, Bryan qualified as a solicitor in England in 2003. He gained wide experience of commercial litigation at the City of London office of one of Scotland’s leading law firms, practising English law. He joined Babbé LLP in 2013, re-qualifying as a Guernsey Advocate in 2016.
Institute of Directors
Guernsey International Legal Association