Who we are
Babbé is an independent Guernsey-based law firm, providing excellent dispute resolution, regulatory, corporate and other transactional legal services. Our independence enables us to put our clients first, making us a leader in client relationships in the Bailiwick.
We listen, understand, innovate and tailor practical solutions to help international corporates, financial institutions, and high net worth individuals succeed.
Our firm is widely recognised for the depth of experience of our lawyers and has a consistent track record acting on leading and landmark cases in Guernsey. We provide our clients with whom we have formed partnerships built over a century of practice, with an integrated and seamless service. We are approachable and accessible, and have the skills, expertise and scale to handle the most demanding, complex and innovative instructions.
- Excellence: we strive for excellence, to deliver exceptional client service
- Honesty: we are truthful in all our interactions to build trust
- Respect: we value each other, appreciating and supporting our people, welcoming diversity
- Accountability: we accept responsibility to meet the expectations of our clients, ourselves, and our firm
- Unity: we are one team, united, inclusive and collaborative with a shared commitment to our clients, our firm, and our legacy
- Babbé can trace its roots back to 1920 and originated in the practice of Advocate Joseph Naftel.
- The practice was taken over by Advocate Jack Martel, who remained in practice for over 50 years. He was a sole practitioner for a number of years until joined by Advocate Edward Le Pelley in the 1930s to form “Martel & Le Pelley”.
- 1972 – Advocate James Le Pelley, Edward’s son joined the firm.
- 1976 – Advocate Nick Tostevin joined and the Firm was re-named “Le Pelley & Tostevin”. The Firm continued to expand over the next 24 years.
- 1989 – Babbé & Co. was founded by then sole practitioner Advocate Richard Babbé. Advocate Babbé was joined six months later by Advocate Nick le Poidevin to form “Babbé & Le Poidevin”.
- 1993 – Advocate Geoff Allez joined that Firm and it became “Babbé, Le Poidevin, Allez”.
- 1994 – Advocate Andrew Laws joined the firm.
- 2000 – Le Pelley & Tostevin and Babbé Le Poidevin Allez merged to form “Babbé Le Pelley & Tostevin”.
- 2006 – the Firm was rebranded as Babbé.
- 1 June 2016 the Firm became a limited liability partnership.